Monday, March 14, 2016

Let's Do . . .



Let’s Do . . . . .   I’m sure you can fill in the rest with several different answers.  When visiting with friends many times you complete it with, “Let’s Do Lunch”



When ready to take on a difficult task and you are getting up your courage you might say, “Let’s Do This!”

But what God has laid on my heart for the past week is, “Let’s Do Church”  Now I’m not sure why He wanted me to write this, but I am going to share where my heart is and I pray that what He wanted said is being done through me.  First I think we need to be reminded of what “church” is.  

According to Dr. Michael L  Williams of the Selah Mountain Bible Institute in New Mexico this is the Biblical definition of church:

The word church in the Bible comes from the Greek word ecclesia, which means a called out company or assembly. Wherever it is used in the Bible it refers to people. It can be a mob (Acts 19:30-41), the children of Israel (Acts 7:38), and the body of Christ (Ephesians 1:22; Ephesians 5:25, 32).
We see the word church used three different ways:
First, as the body of Christ, the church is often defined as a local assembly or group of believers (1 Corinthians 1:2; 2 Corinthians 1:1; Galatians 1:1-2).
Second, it is defined as the body of individual living believers (1 Corinthians 15:9; Galatians 1:13).
Finally, it is defined as the universal group of all people who have trusted Christ through the ages (Matthew 16:18; Ephesians 5:23-27).

I think that pretty much nails it.  I especially like where he summarizes that wherever it is used in the Bible it refers to PEOPLE.  Yes, a building is important. Styles are great, keeping it clean is being respectful and helps with hospitality.  Having all the latest and greatest equipment can be fun, can help in what we do.  Having a wonderful worship team certainly draws us in to that time of worship, praise, celebration, and focus.  

Since moving to the TriCities WA area, we certainly have many choices of places to do church.  When I googled churches for this area, there were 230 listed.  Many different denominations, types, religions, and languages.  But what we need to remember (and I include myself here as well) is that it is not about the denomination, it is not about the talent, it is not about the age of the building – it IS about God’s presence.  It IS about the belief in God’s Word and the onIy way to heaven is through His Son Jesus Christ.  It IS about Him working in us, through us, and around us.  It IS about our eyes being on Him, praising Him, thanking Him, knowing Him.  

It is not about being religious.  When our children were small, I would often use this example when someone would ask what religion I am.  First I would say, I am not religious, I have faith and hope in my Savior, Jesus Christ.  The reason I would say this is that you can be religious about your garden, your sports games, or watching your favorite t.v. show.  And then I would tell them I am a Christian who attends a RCA church, works at a Lutheran preschool and has children that attend a Baptist church for AWANA’s. 
(Yes, I was careful where and when I said this – when the timing was right. ;) )

Church is also not the 60 – 90 minutes on a Sunday morning or Saturday evening that we enter a building and do this with others.  It IS about a lifestyle we live, it IS about choices we make and it IS about relationships we build.  It IS ongoing and will be ultimately amazing when we enter Heaven and be the church with all the Saints there. 

Again - I’m not sure why God wanted me to write this right now, but I do know that it is a strong part of me.  I do get frustrated with the “look at me, look at how good I am” attitude or “our church would never do that” or “our church would have…..”  I am not pointing fingers at anyone or singling anyone out.  Simply being obedient to Him.  So -

      Let’s Do Church
And do it together
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment