Thursday, February 4, 2016

Duck Duck Goose

Duck      Duck       Duck        Duck      Duck     GOOSE!   And the chase would begin.  

Remember the fun times playing this game?  A game that would ensue when adults needed to gather a group of children to prevent them from running off or pass the time.  But as kids - it was a blast.  And then there was the unspoken fact that we didn't really want to catch the person that picked us, it was fun being "it" and having that control walking around the circle with everyone wanting you to select them.  


I know I have shared about all the waterfowl I observe when I am walking along the river.  And when I do, this childhood game keeps popping in my head.  Seems like we want to be the goose.  

In reality, the goose is probably the more sought after figure as well.  The duck is shorter and squattier.  (I think I just made up a word)  The goose is sleeker and longer.  In animation, the duck is usually the comical character and the goose is more mythical and magical.  

But both are in the same family, both migrate in groups, taking turns leading, always helping and watching out for each other.  They are dedicated to each other.  If they drop out and try to fly solo the work is hard, the friction is greater.  So whether you feel like today you are the duck or the goose, remember you are not alone.  You do not have to do all the work.  There are those around you to help, to take turns, to encourage, to care.  

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. 12 In those days when you pray, I will listen. 13 If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me.   Jeremiah 29:11-13New Living Translation (NLT)
You see God's plan is for us to be together, to share, to help, to care.  And these plans are for our good, not disaster.  Even when it feels hard, even when we drop out of formation, if we pray He will listen, no matter whether we are feeling like a duck or a goose, and lift us back into the formation. 



No comments:

Post a Comment